Foreign tourists can get a Free Tourist Sim card after arriving in India. Recently Government of India has started this facility for the foreign visitors arriving on E-visa. Read this article to know how to get free tourist sim in India and other related pieces of information.
Documents needed to get Free tourist sim in India
- Copy of E-visa (Indian e-visa facility is available to 161 countries, as on Feb 2017)
- First page of the passport
Salient features of the Free tourist sim
- Pre-activated (Insert in your mobile and start using instantly)
- Validity – 30 days
- 50 MB Internet data – preloaded
- 50 Rupees talk time – preloaded
- Can call Toll-free Tourist Helpline number 1800111363 (Short Code: 1363), available 24×7 in 12 foreign languages (This number can also be accessed by private mobile networks)
Free Tourist sim in India is available at
- IGI airport, New Delhi – Terminal 3
- Ahmedabad International airport
- Amritsar International airport
- Bengaluru International airport
- Chennai International airport
- Gaya International airport
- Goa International airport
- Hyderabad International airport
- Jaipur International airport
- Kochi International airport
- Kolkata International airport
- Lucknow International airport
- Mumbai International airport
- Thiruvananthapuram International airport
- Trichy / Tiruchirappalli International airport
- Varanasi International airport (Only at these International airports having e-visa facility)
Unbiased review of the free tourist sim
- Area covered by the free tourist sim – This sim is provided by the Government’s Company named BSNL. It is one of the widest network providers in India. There are few areas where the government has not allowed private mobile network providers, but BSNL has its reach. Such areas are mainly located near the international borders, remotely located places in the Himalayas and rural parts of India.
- Coverage Quality – Although the network quality is not upto the mark all the time. Voice and internet data quality becomes pathetic sometimes. That’s why people in India generally prefer private networks like Airtel, Vodafone and Reliance Jio.
Other Related information
How to travel cheaply in India?
After reaching India (New Delhi)
- Looking for the cheapest, fastest and the most reliable way to reach Delhi city centre from Delhi airport. Then take Delhi Airport Express Metro train
- Flying somewhere else from Delhi and need to know the best way of Airport transfers in Delhi. Read this – ‘How to travel from Terminal-1 to Terminal-3‘
- Want to catch a taxi reach somewhere in Delhi? Then Watch this video to know which is the hassle free and money saver taxi service in Delhi and other big cities in India. This is how I travel in Delhi.
- You should also know which transport you should NOT take from Delhi airport. Read this.
While travelling in India
- How to travel dirt cheap in India. Watch this video and travel as low as 10 USD for almost 5000 km
- How to stay for cheap or free in India. Read this article
- Travel apps to find a confirmed train ticket while travelling in India.