Author – Manas Jha
I am an Indian living in San Francisco since few years. Often I fly to India to visit my parents and friends. So I thought to share some information for the benefit of American flyers intending to travel India. Here are some tips on how to get a cheaper flight from USA to India, based on my experience.
Cheapest city to fly into India from USA
First, you have to decide where to land in India. There are several international airports out of which three major International airports for tourists are Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata. Now, another crucial factor is from where you are travelling i.e. East Coast or West Coast. If you travel from East coast, travel cost from New York (JFK) to Mumbai will be cheaper. If you travel From West Coast, Seattle or San Francisco to Delhi will be Cheaper.
What is the best time to fly from USA to India
Plan your trip during February-March. This is the offseason for visiting India from USA. Try to book your ticket two months in advance. Always buy a return ticket. You will be able to save 300-400 USD if you buy a return ticket. Try to start your trip on weekdays, preferably Wednesday. Trend says the flight which starts on weekdays are cheaper by 100-150 USD than weekend flights.
How to get cheapest flight tickets to India
There are several websites like kayak.com, skyscanner.com, expedia.com, travelopod.com, cheapoair.com, airfarewatchdog.com, etc. which can help you to get cheap air tickets to India. But I personally like Travelopod.com. Do price search on various websites and then compare with Travelopod.com. I will recommend calling their customer care team for further negotiation which is effective. I will also recommend checking ticket price of Kuwait Airways. Sometimes they offer dirt cheap price tickets from JFK to Mumbai.
Choose One stop over a direct flight
There are various flights options like direct flight, one stop flight & two stop flight. Cost pattern differs according to stops. I will suggest going for the one stop flight. This will not only reduce the cost of your flight ticket but also gives a chance to explore another city on the way. Probably, you may get an opportunity to explore some Asian city like Singapore or Hong Kong .
How to travel cheaply in India?
After reaching India (New Delhi)
- Looking for the cheapest, fastest and the most reliable way to reach Delhi city centre from Delhi airport. Then take Delhi Airport Express Metro train
- Flying somewhere else from Delhi and need to know the best way of Airport transfers in Delhi. Read this – ‘How to travel from Terminal-1 to Terminal-3‘
- Want to catch a taxi reach somewhere in Delhi? Then Watch this video to know which is the hassle free and money saver taxi service in Delhi and other big cities in India. This is how I travel in Delhi.
- You should also know which transport you should NOT take from Delhi airport. Read this.
While travelling in India
- How to travel dirt cheap in India. Watch this video and travel as low as 10 USD for almost 5000 km
- How to stay for cheap or free in India. Read this article
- Travel apps to find a confirmed train ticket while travelling in India.
- If you are going to purchase a train ticket, then please don’t land into travel scams. Watch this video before you purchase a train ticket in Delhi
- Address and phone numbers of all government tourism authorities all over India. Take a print and keep it with you. Always.
TIPS: How to get a cheaper flight from USA to India
- Fly from New York to Mumbai if you travel from East coast
- Fly from Seattle or San Francisco to Delhi, if you travel from West coast
- Take Kuwait airways from JFK to Mumbai, they offer dirt cheap tickets sometimes
- Plan a trip during February-March
- Book tickets Two months in advance